Monday, August 10, 2020

Boxed In

After fixing the foundation corner in the front of the garage, I have now moved to the back to solve a similar problem. 

This back corner also displays too much cinder block. The two ground cover sedums that are located there always look great when they flower, but they never grow in height. They also look a bit strange latter in the summer when the stems droop and expose the open core of each plant. So, to solve the height problem, I am replacing them with a Golden Japanese Spikenard (Aralia cordata 'Sun King")

This plant likes part sun and shade, so it will do fine here. It also likes well drained soil, which is great given that this is an enclosed box with soil on top and a lot of drainage gravel below. I will probably have to put some more soil in and less rocks, but it will drain well.

The plant can grow to 6 feet, but I suspect that the box will limit it root growth over time and as a result help to keep the height down. It should grow enough to cover the cinder block corner and may droop down a bit into the lower elevation on the right side in which the Pompom Cyprus and other plants now reside. I may have to trim it back from time to time.

Once in it looks a bit odd all by itself in such a big box.

 

In time, it should fill in the area and grow higher.

I really like the light color of the leaves and think it will add some differentiation with all the other greens in the garden. I hope the berries it produces won't be a messy issue, but it may attract birds.

I think it's an experiment worth trying. Anything to hide that foundation.

I moved the Sedums to two locations across from each other just on the other side of the see-through fence and the bamboo.

 

Not sure how these will work out in these locations, but I essentially had no where else to put them. The garden and yard are practically full of plants.

2 comments:

  1. I'm enjoying the photos and descriptions of how you problem solve areas around your garden. Just discovered your site, I will keep checking now to see what you are doing. My husband Lee and I are landscaping in the California high desert and hope to create a Japanese Zen garden inspired desert landscape in our backyard. Your use of stone and gravel are inspiring some ideas. Thanks for sharing your garden! Jeanette

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. Before Covid, California was my next state to visit. There are lots of Japanese gardens down in the LA area that are on my bucket list. Good luck with your plans.

    ReplyDelete