Friday, August 7, 2020

A Moment to Relax

Usually, I spend my summers traveling around North America trying to visit as many publicly accessible Japanese gardens as possible. Unfortunately, Covid-19 has made that interest (or obsession) near impossible. 

So, this summer, I spent all of my time engaged in yard work and garden maintenance. The garden has matured over the last decade and is for the most part self sustaining. With the exception of plant-eating critters, I only need to weed occasionally. I kept big projects to a minimum this summer as well. As a result, I had lots of time to sit and relax and enjoy the beauty of the garden.

I've reflected a great deal this summer, and even found inspiration in the works of Laozi (老子) and the Dàodé Jīng (道德經):

#80

      If a country is governed wisely,
        its inhabitants will be content.
        They enjoy the labor of their hands
        and don't waste time inventing
        labor-saving machines.
        Since they dearly love their homes,
        they aren't interested in travel.
        There may be a few wagons and boats,
        but these don't go anywhere.
        There may be an arsenal of weapons,
        but nobody ever uses them.
        People enjoy their food,
        take pleasure in being with their families,
        spend weekends working in their gardens,
        delight in the doings of the neighborhood.
        And even though the next country is so close
        that people can hear its roosters crowing and its dogs barking,
        they are content to die of old age
        without ever having gone to see it.

So, I learned to make sacrifices, change, and grow as a human being and dream of the possibility of a more peaceful world. Being surrounded by the beauty of the garden makes it all the more possible. My only sadness comes from knowing that others may not be as fortunate.

Wanting to share the experience of the garden with those who are unable to visit in person, I have compiled the best photos from this summer's blog entries into a digital slideshow. In these times of stress and anxiety, perhaps these images will help provide a few brief moments for relaxation and peace.

Enjoy!

14 comments:

  1. Dave - Stunning. Absolutely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing! I need your expertise in my yard!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it. Very Zen for sure! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dave - Have you been to Shades or Green in Charlton? She has a wide variety of plants, mostly shade plants, but worth visiting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 松泥园太美了!功夫不负有心人。
    音乐配美景,美不胜收!
    谢谢贝老师和大家分享!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! Your hard work has really paid off. My backyard with garden and pond is my favorite place to be in the summer too. I'm sure your garden is even more enjoyable in person. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Outstanding David. Beautiful as ever. I am just five minutes away and have visited often in past to witness the growth of true art in nature. If you see me walking by to take a peak I hope you will forgive me. I will be wearing a mask. I am happy if the weeds are green with flowers in my back yard. You are an artist with nature.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The garden is always open to visitors, as long as we socially distance, your'e always welcome to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dave, that was so beautiful! So very peaceful and relaxing - thank you for sharing!!
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dave,what a beautiful garden, you are amazing! Thank you for sharing. Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing your beautiful back yard, especially those vibrant astilbe colors. It was inspiring. I guess I will go get that weeding done today. C Tux.

    ReplyDelete