Friday, September 2, 2016

Snow View in September

I went in search of discounted plants today, but didn't find anything I really liked. However, I did come across a small Yukimi-dōrō, or snow-view lantern.


These lantern tend to be ornamental only, and are often associated with water. They are placed near ponds and can be placed at the water's edge or on a flat stone directly in the water. In the winter snow will accumulate on the roof, hence the name. 

The one I purchased has four legs and is made of granite. Most of my other stone lanterns are more of a pink granite, so this bright white granite lantern should add some variety. 


I don't have a pond or water feature, so I am placing it in the stroll garden near the dwarf maple I planted last year. Perhaps the large gravel area at the end could be considered a "water" feature. 


I'm not sure if I will keep it in this location long term. I have to wait and see how the plants in this area do. I plan to transplant some more lilies later in the month to just behind the lantern along the fence. I also have a small grass plant to transplant. 

More importantly, I am worried about the maple. I have begun to call him "sicky" due to how poorly he has been doing. When I first planted him he was full of leaves. 


He quickly lost half his growth. I also may have over trimmed him and exacerbated the shock. I was sure he was dead by the time last winter set in. However, to my amazement, he came back to life in the spring and was doing well. 


However, upon my return from Oklahoma, after almost 5 weeks, he was is a disastrous state. The heat of summer didn't help. He may also be getting too much direct sunlight. I've removed most of the dead leaves, but I am going to leave the branches and stems alone and see what transpires next spring. If he continues to get worse he may have to come out. I can try moving him, but the shock of digging him up might kill him once and for all. We will have wait and to see. 


In the meantime, I am hoping the Yukimi-dōrō will add some interest to a sickly plant.




No comments:

Post a Comment