Sunday, September 11, 2016

Rhododendron Stroll

I've decided to add some Rhododendron (Rhododendron 'P.J.M. Compact'to the garden. I have been hesitant to do so simply because I was concerned about the size that that the plants might reach. So, I decided to plant some small dwarf size plants along the edge of the garage alongside the Stroll Garden.



In total, I planted four plants, two on either side of the central spot. these are very small now, but I am hoping they grow larger in a few years.


These plants will get morning sunlight, but should be shaded most of the afternoon. I am hoping that this combination will be beneficial for the plants. Hopefully they will grow over time and help to hide the long foundation line along the garage. Since this portion of the garden is outside the enclosed garden, it is constantly visible to the public. Hiding that foundation will help make the view more appealing.


In order to plant here, I first have to level out this bed. I had left it angled a few years back when I first created the stroll garden, as a result, rain run-off from the garage roof has washed much of the mulch I placed here into the stone area. 


Stroll Garden - 2014
It has been difficult to keep the stones free of this debris. By leveling it off a bit, I can better control the flow of water, although I really should seriously consider creating a better drainage system. No time or money for that now, so we will relay on the sandy soil to absorb the water.

I also have to move some of the plants that I have placed here in the past - Clumping Bamboo (Fargesia rufa), Hosta, etc. 




I was essentially using this spot as a dumping ground for left over or damaged plants. These Rhododendron are the first plants I have actually purchased with the intent of placing them here. Finding a new home for some of these other plants will be a challenge. I am getting to the point where there are very few places left for me to add new plants. The main garden is full and I am holding off on the Dragon's Spine area until I extend the fence (hopefully next year). So, buckets may be their final destination.

No comments:

Post a Comment