Wednesday, August 24, 2011

The Gate to Paradise

Almost any garden, if you see it at just the right moment, can be confused with paradise.

The gate frame is finally finished.


I added flashing to the tops of the two main posts (plus the small mid post) and to the support posts attached to the garage foundation. Doing so will help to keep water from seeping into the posts. I calked them up with a clear caulking, primed them, and painted them green. The color is a bit off from the stain, but matches the garage.



I also sealed the bottom edge of the copper caps to keep moister out.


The last of the bamboo fencing also arrived this week and I was able to attach the last piece. The panels on both sides of the gate are now stained with a protective clear coat that will help ensure that the bamboo last and doesn't discolor too much.


Overall, I am please with the look of the gate - it was, however, much more work than I had anticipated.


Next summer I will add actual doors to the gate frame. I still haven't decided on a design - that will be my homework over the winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment