Monday, July 27, 2026

Vanishing Ajuga

Early in the spring, I noticed that the Bugleweed (Ajuga reptans 'Burgundy Glow') growing in front of the Buddha statue was not returning with its usual vigor.

2025

The planting on the left side appeared to have died back almost entirely, while the right side remained healthy and continued to grow normally.

With the new front yard landscaping project underway, I did not have an opportunity to investigate the issue immediately.

By early June, the remaining plants produced their characteristic purple flower spikes, but only on the healthy right side of the planting (sorry, no photo).

By early July, the blooms long gone, the rest of the small bed looked fine, except for the missing plants on the left side.


At first, I considered whether the decline might have been caused by reduced sunlight from the nearby fence panels or insufficient moisture. However, neither explanation seemed entirely convincing based on the growing conditions.

After digging into the area, I discovered that the soil was in poor condition. It consisted primarily of sand and contained very little organic matter, providing a poor environment for healthy root development.

To correct the problem, I removed approximately 10 inches of the existing soil and replaced it with fresh, amended garden soil rich in organic material.

I then planted six new Bugleweed plants (Ajuga reptans 'Mahogany'), the closest cultivar I was able to find. Although the foliage differs slightly from 'Burgundy Glow', the variation should become less noticeable as the plants mature and spread.



The planting looks somewhat sparse at the moment, but Bugleweed is a vigorous groundcover that establishes quickly under favorable conditions. With time, it should fill the empty space and, hopefully, produce a full display of blooms by next spring.