Saturday, July 25, 2026

Garden Trinity

One of the newest additions to the Zen Garden is a small composition of three granite stones arranged to evoke a Buddhist trinity. A medium-sized stone forms the centerpiece, representing the Buddha, while two smaller companion stones rest on either side as protective guardians—attendant forms that flank and support the central presence. Together, the grouping stands approximately 2.5 feet tall and spans about six feet across.

The arrangement is inspired by the way Buddhist devotional art and temple gardens use simple, symbolic forms to convey meaning. In this miniature setting, stone is not merely part of the landscape—it becomes a presence: the steady, enduring “body” of the Dharma, with the side stones serving as watchful companions that hold the center in place.

Rather than creating a panoramic scene, my goal was to establish a quiet focal point that invites contemplation on a small scale. In fact, the finished feature has become a garden within the garden.

The stones are nestled within a carpet of Creeping Thyme (Thymus 'Tym Rampant') and Red Wild Thyme (Thymus serpyllum 'Coccineus')


I wasn’t able to acquire enough Creeping Thyme on its own, so I combined the two varieties (I will remedy this next season). Over time, these plantings will soften the base as they spread between the rocks. As the growth fills in, the guardian stones and central “Buddha stone” should appear less like separate objects and more like a single, unified feature.

Behind and just to the right of the central stone, a Dwarf Plumbago (Ceratostigma plumbaginoides) adds seasonal interest with deep blue flowers and burgundy-red autumn foliage. 

post gravel

As the planting matures, it will serve as a backdrop to the stone grouping without overwhelming it.

I also transplanted a stray Japanese Painted Fern (Athyrium niponicum) I harvested from the woodlot behind the garden fence, placing it behind the guardian stone on the left to help fill the empty space.

post gravel

Not wanting to overfill the bed, I left open space behind the largest stone. Sometimes, less truly is more.

On the right side of the bed, I added a small Rheingold Arborvitae (Thuja occidentalis 'Rheingold'). This plant had once been a full shrub but suffered during a harsh winter, forcing me to remove much of its foliage. For the past few years, it had been living in a bucket, where I used it as a kind of false bonsai. Given its miniature size, I felt it could serve here as a small, cloud-pruned accent shrub. It looks far better in this setting than it ever did in a bucket.

I also gathered moss from the back woodlot to surround the base of each planting. It creates a cleaner, more finished look and should help retain moisture, especially after I fill the bed with gravel.


Before doing so, I needed a way to keep the gravel separate from the mulch and to define the shape of the gravel bed. To do so, I used some leftover EasyFlex No-Dig Black Plastic Landscape Edging from another project. I liked its straight edge, and the fact that I could keep it level between the mulch and gravel without it being glaringly evident. I also covered the area with a heavy duty weed fabric to keep mulch and gravel separated.


post gravel


post gravel

Surrounding the stones and plantings is a layer of Vermont Poultry Grit (Developer Layer)


While traditional Japanese gravel is not readily available where I live, poultry grit provides a remarkably similar appearance and texture. Its pale color contrasts beautifully with the dark granite, and its coarse surface can be raked much like gravel in a traditional Zen garden. One practical consideration, however, is that it needs to be at least two inches deep to hold raked patterns effectively (Note: I still have to add another layer of grit, on order, before I can place patterns)



Just outside of the gravel bed, on the right, behind the large boxwood, I filled a void in the mulch with a cutting from Hakonechloa macra 'Beni-kaze' (Japanese Forest Grass)


Although the entire bed gets a lot of morning sunlight, this location near the back of the bed should offer enough afternoon shade to help the grass thrive.

Finally, I decided to include my small Buddha statue within the bed. 


This figure tends to move about the garden, changing location with the seasons—or simply on a whim. I realize it is somewhat redundant to have a large stone representing the Buddha alongside a miniature Buddha, and it may strike some as a bit kitschy. Even so, it may help casual visitors better understand the symbolic significance of the stone arrangement.

Though modest in scale, this miniature Zen garden offers a distinct kind of viewing experience. 




The permanence of stone, the softening influence of living plants, and the quiet simplicity of the arrangement combine to create a space where visitors may pause and reflect as they pass along the walkway. 

I am very pleased with the outcome.