Thursday, July 23, 2026

Ruby's Return

Having completed the pruning of the First Flame Maple, I turned my attention to the overcrowding caused by the adjacent Flame Grass (Miscanthus sinensis 'Purpurascens').


The grass had simply grown too tall. I knew that was a possibility when I planted it, but I underestimated just how much of an issue it would become.

I originally planted the Flame Grass after removing a long-established Panicum virgatum 'Ruby Ribbons', which had occupied this space since before 2022. Over time, the Ruby Ribbons had gradually thinned out and also suffered repeated rabbit damage.

Rather than discard it, I transplanted what remained into a bucket, where I nursed it back to health while waiting for the right opportunity to replant it.

The first step was to remove the Flame Grass and relocate it to another area of the property. With the space reopened, I replanted the Ruby Ribbons in its original location.


Although the Ruby Ribbons is still on the small side, I am hopeful that, with plenty of sunlight and the freedom to spread its roots in the ground again, it will regain its vigor.

To give the Ruby Ribbons the best chance of success, I installed protective fencing to keep rabbits from browsing the new growth. I also applied a fresh layer of mulch, which greatly improved the appearance of the bed. With the taller grass gone, Secret Heart Island is once again visible and can be appreciated from the Viewing Garden.


In time, I hope the Ruby Ribbons' more modest 3-foot height will prove to be a better long-term companion for the First Flame Maple. 


As an added benefit, the plantings behind Secret Heart Island are now much more visible to visitors taking in the views from the Viewing Garden.