Monday, July 20, 2026

Post Production

After completing most of the front yard landscaping projects, it was finally time to add another long-planned feature: a Campania International Sapporo Lantern.


I first came across this lantern last year while browsing online. At $834.99, it was more than I was willing to spend. I searched for local retailers in hopes of avoiding shipping costs, but I had no luck finding one nearby.

As I planned the new front walkway, I knew I wanted to incorporate this lantern—or something similar—into the tight curve near the front steps. In fact, its intended location helped inspire the walkway's curving design. 


After months of admiring and thinking about the lantern, I finally decided to make the purchase. Fortunately, a major Fourth of July sale brought the price down to just $700, including shipping, making it much easier to justify.

The lantern is a substantial piece, constructed of cast stone with a stained travertine finish. It arrives in four separate pieces with a combined weight of 207 pounds.


I was immediately drawn to its design. Although the "Sapporo" name is not based on a traditional Japanese lantern style of that name, I have seen lanterns with a similar form in Japanese gardens. What appealed to me most was its Arts and Crafts influence, which complements the architecture of our traditional brick Cape Cod home. The warm color also blends well with the tones of the new walkway and the brown decking of the recently built front porch.



While the front yard gardens are not technically part of the larger Asian-inspired gardens found elsewhere on the property, I wanted the front landscape to echo some of the same design elements. The lantern helps visually connect the front porch plantings with the newly established entryway to the Middle Gate, serving as an attractive focal point and creating a subtle transition between the different garden spaces.



Installing the lantern was surprisingly straightforward. I began by removing an existing fountain grass and excavating the area for an 8-inch-deep gravel base. After compacting the gravel, I used paver sand to create a perfectly level surface. Once the base was prepared, the four lantern sections were carefully stacked and aligned. Finally, I added a narrow ring of red gravel around the base to improve drainage and prevent mulch and soil from freezing against the cast stone during the winter months.


Overall, I couldn't be happier with how it turned out. I plan to plant a low-growing ground cover around the base to soften the transition into the surrounding bed, but even as it stands now, the lantern provides exactly the focal point I had envisioned for the front garden.