Saturday, July 25, 2026

Raise the Red Lantern

After installing the new Sapporo lantern, it became apparent that some type of planting was needed around its base.


The front porch bed is still a work in progress, and the large expanse of mulch leaves it looking sparse and in need of additional plantings.

I didn't want to use taller plants, such as ornamental grasses or flowering perennials, because they would compete with the lantern for attention. Instead, a low-growing ground cover seemed like the better choice.

The lantern's travertine finish pairs nicely with the brown tones of the walkway and echoes the color of the surrounding mulch. Because of that, I wanted to choose a plant that would complement the lantern rather than blend into it. My original plan was to use a green ground cover, but I was ultimately drawn to Voodoo Stonecrop (Sedum spurium 'Voodoo')


This perennial starts out with green foliage before maturing to a rich mahogany-red, a color that complements the brick exterior of the house.

Thriving in full sun and poor, well-drained soil, it grows only 4–6 inches tall. It will gradually spread to form a dense mat, but it can easily be trimmed back from the edge of the walkway whenever needed.


For now, I'm happy with the choice and look forward to seeing it fill in around the lantern, hopefully forming a complete circle by next season.