Sunday, July 26, 2026

Midnight Sun

As I was putting the finishing touches on the front bed, I realized there were still a few gaps that would benefit from additional planting, particularly around the Sapporo lantern.

To anchor the larger open space between the boxwood and the lantern, I selected a Midnight Sun Weigela (Weigela florida 'Verweig9'), a compact, reblooming deciduous shrub prized for its multicolored foliage and vivid pink tubular flowers. 


While other weigelas already grow within the Rose Garden and the Stroll Garden, this cultivar offers a distinctly different character. Its rich reddish foliage complements both the brick façade of the house and the warm tones of the Sapporo lantern. It also reinforces the reddish color palette I began establishing with the Voodoo Stonecrop (Sedum spurium 'Voodoo') I planted around the lantern's base earlier in the week.

As the shrub matures, it will require periodic pruning, along with the adjacent boxwood, to maintain adequate spacing and preserve the form of each plant.

To further strengthen the warm color palette in this corner of the bed, I added two Chick Charms 'Chocolate Kiss' hens and chicks (Sempervivum 'Chocolate Kiss')


Their burgundy-tinged rosettes provide an attractive contrast to the surrounding foliage, while their exceptional drought tolerance makes them well suited to the somewhat sandy soil within this portion of the garden.

Viewed together, these new additions create a pleasing interplay of color and texture. Set against the deep green backdrop of the boxwood and fountain grass, the burgundy foliage and succulents introduce welcome contrast, breaking up the predominance of green foliage and brown mulch while drawing the eye naturally toward the lantern as a focal point.


With these additions, I should now be done with the design and implementation of the new garden updates in the front yard.




Now its time to tend to the needs of all the other gardens.