Sunday, June 3, 2018

Rotten to the Core

This season is turning into a series of problems, one after another. Hoping to quickly replace the bamboo in the fencing, I embarked on prepping the fence. First I removed all the bamboo. Then, I readjusted the bottom rails to accommodate the 3 foot high bamboo panels. At least two rails have to be replaced due to rot.

Near the end, past the moon window, I encountered a more serious problem. The last two posts are rotten where they meet the soil.



I didn't think this would occur so fast. These two posts are some of the most recent. I suspect they were not truly red-cedar.

Having to replace them will require that I completely dismantle the last two fence panels.


Getting it all back into place is going to take some effort. This was most definitely not part of my plans for this summer.

I still have to clean the remaining fence posts and rails so that I can re-stain before placing the new bamboo within. This fence repair is going to have to wait until I'm done with school work - its simply going to take a great deal of time and I don't want to start until I can work through and finish within a week.

In the meantime, the garden looks odd with most of the fencing missing. Too bad, the plants are looking very nice so far this year.

2 comments:

  1. I guess that is why they have the phrase "labor of love." Plants do look great.

    ReplyDelete