Saturday, May 26, 2018

Imminent Collapse

Started to set up the gazebo today. I had been putting it off all spring because I was concerned it was in poor shape. As I suspected, the structure was no longer sound. Years of rust from leaving it up all winter finally took its toll on the roof supports. As I attempted to reinstall the cloth roof, it became apparent that the supports were no longer safe.


The gazebo has been here since before that garden was complete. It even suffered a blow-over during a violent storm. Finally, two years ago I made the mistake of leaving the roof on too long into the snow season. The supports were severely bent, and I bent them back, but it was only a matter of time before they collapsed.

Now that it is down and being recycled, there is a vast expanse of space in the garden.


I looked into having a timber beam structure built, but the coast was starting at $4,500 and quickly rising. Too much for me right now. Instead, I opted to replace the gazebo with another metal structure, one that has a solid roof. Its a bit risky in the northeast, but I can just use my snow rake to remove snow if it gets to heavy (I hope). The replacement I purchased is the Palram Palermo 3000 10 x 10 gazebo.

I got a good sale price on it and was able to acquire it for less than $1,000. It should be here in a week or so. I will need to decide on how to secure it, especially with a solid roof. I might have to install some cement footings ( no easy task). I will wait until it arrives and I complete the initial set up before I decide.

2 comments:

  1. Just curious if the blow over was from that massive wind storm we had when school lost power for the day My wife sent me a video of my portable garage rolling across the back yard. By the time I made it home that night it was a mangled disaster.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Pete, just getting around to reading comments after a long summer. My gazebo just got old - no wind damage. The new one has been sitting in the garage all summer in a box. I probably won't install until next spring. By the way, you are missed at school.

    ReplyDelete