Sunday, June 24, 2018

Rearrangements

I needed to make some changes in the Dragon Spine bed. Overall, most plants did well, but there was one major problem with the Mt. Fire Japanese Andromeda (Pieris japonica 'Mt. Fire'). For some reason, about 50% of it just died over the winter. As a result, it left a strange gap in the plant. So, I decided to remove it. I've put it in a bucket to see if I can save it over time.


In its place, I planted a Birch Leaf Spirea (Spiraea betulifolia 'Tor Gold'). I have had a lot of luck with Spirea and deer keeping their distance. This may help, especially if I move and relocate the two Azaleas (thinking about doing so in the fall). The plant will flower with white blooms, a color combo I was trying to use with some of the other plants to offset the dark red of the dwarf maple. It will eventually get up to 4' wide and tall, so I may need to relocate other nearby plants as time goes by.


I also planted a Mini Sunglo Spirea (Spiraea x bumalda 'Mini Sunglo') next to the large stone. In front of the stone, I place three left over remnants form elsewhere in the garden (left to right: Sugar & Spice Foamflower (Tiarella 'Sugar & Spice'), Sedum 'Autumn Fire', and Bottle Rocket' Ligularia)


I have long term plans to add a Tsukubai (bamboo water fountain with a stone basin) in this location, so these plants will only reside here temporarily and be transplanted later when I decide to move forward on the Tsukubai (the cost is prohibitive right now)

Overall, the Dragon's spine is looking good. It needs time to fill in and see what thrives and what does not.


In the meantime, I have a lot of  leftovers and remnants piling up. Problem is, I have no more places to put them or locations where they would be appropriate. For now, I will nurture them in buckets and think of ways to use them or give them to friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment