Friday, June 29, 2018

Beyond the Gate

After much procrastination, I finally got around to building the frame for the Woodland Gate doors. 

My inspirations for this style was the gate of the Seigen-in restaurant entrance at the Ryoan-ji Temple in Kyoto. 


I snapped this photo back in 2015 when visiting the temple. It was early in the morning - I was literally the first person, and for a several hours the only person, visiting the temple. The restaurant wasn't open by the time I decided to move on. Nevertheless, I was able to take a peek through this gate. Later, when I started planning gates, this gate kept coming to mind. Hence, my finished gate doors will be very similar.

I kept the doors simple, trying to adhere to the Sukiya style, by using small strips of 2" cedar boards with a slightly larger 3" board across the center. The frame is held together with cap nuts and connecting bolts. I was concerned that 1" screws alone would not hold the weight long term, even with glue. These caps and nuts are easier to work with and look a bit nicer than regular screw heads.


I also used a lap joint for each cross rail on the back side. This should help prevent any sagging. However, I only went in half the depth with each joint. This will allow the 3/4 bamboo poles I attach to look as if they are flush with the front sides. Unfortunately, upon opening the bamboo I ordered two months ago, I discovered that it was incorrect. So, I had to send it back and reorder from a different source. I am hopeful the new poles will arrive within a week. I also added a hinge at each cross rail section. I know its a bit overkill, but it will help keep each door attached to the posts long term.

In the meantime, I am more than halfway finished and it looks good so far.


Finally, I seemed to receive approval from a cat (not mine) who appeared in the wood lot beyond the gate. If you look close, you can see it - third panel down on the right.


Thanks kitty!

No comments:

Post a Comment