Friday, July 6, 2018

Through the Doors

After a week-long heat wave, followed by two days of rain, I finally finished the Woodland Gate doors.


Initially, I had placed too many bamboo poles on the first door, so I removed half so as to better reflect the Sukiya style I was trying to achieve. 

Here is the look I was aiming for:




There are 9 total poles on each door, and they look great. I struggled with the color scheme - originally I intended to stain the door frames green, but then switched to the natural color. In time it will fade, better matching the bamboo.


I still need to stain the bamboo with a clear coat to protect it from the weather, but it hasn't arrived yet. I did add a latch to the gate to keep it from opening. This was the most rustic latch I could find.


I will probably place a tome ishi (stop stone), also known as a sekimori ishi (boundary-guard stone), in front of the doors. It is a device used in Japanese gardens to guide visitors along a prescribed route or prevent them from entering.

a tome ishi (stop stone) I saw at the Chicago Botanic Garden

I am very satisfied with the final outcome of the gate. In a couple of years the shrubs on either side will fill in and it will look terrific.


I still need to create a sign for the gate. As of now, I have to get back to finishing the fence and other summer garden projects. The garden will never be finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment