Saturday, June 9, 2018

New Additions

The first new additions for this summer were added to the Zen garden. I started with a Heuchera "Autumn Leaves' Coral Bell. I placed it where the Sugar & Spice Foamflower (Tiarella 'Sugar & Spice') had been planted back in 2014. For some reason only a small portion of the plant grew back this year, so I potted what was left and decided to add the Corel Bell in its place. I really like the red color and am hoping it will do well here. If I can keep the slugs away, it could prove to be a nice addition.



I've decided to take a chance an add a small Korean Boxwood (Buxus microphylla var. koreana) (top middle of photo below) to the spot along the walkway where a long term Beatlemania Mophead Grass at resided for many years. Unfortunately, the grass had been almost completely replaced by a thick layer of moss. I extracted the moss and moved it to the small bed that had been covered over by the Japanese maple. The Box wood could be a problem in the future if it grows too fast and too large. If it does, I'll move it elsewhere.




below the maple I added some mixed Sedum to the lower bed. Originally, I had planted Bugleweed back in 2014. It did well over the years, but this last winter it simply didn't come back - not sure why. I thought I would try the sedum instead. I have had some luck with it on the opposite side of the garden in the top bed.


I also added a Summer Pink False SunFlower (Heliopsis 'SummerPink') (top left of photo below). This plant likes partial shade, but prefers full sun. I liked the yellow flowers it produced. Unfortunately, I don't think its going to make it. The slugs are attracted to it like a magnet. They have been doing a good job devouring the plant. I may need to move it to a safer location. 



I also cut back the large White-Variegrated Japanese Forest Grass that was near the small steps. It had become so large that you could no longer see the entry way into the steps. By splitting it in half, I was able to move two smaller pieces to other locations, one along the fence line behind the Yukimi lantern. 



The other ended up near the garden bell see-through fence.

I also added a Golden Barberry (Berveris thunbergii "Aurea') along the fence line. I liked the yellow foliage and am hoping it adds some contrast to the many shades of green in the garden. A bit difficult to work with, no creatures should be eating this plant. It will also only get to about 3-4' in height, a nice size for this space in the garden.



No comments:

Post a Comment