Friday, July 14, 2017

Third Time's a Charm

Today I made the first major addition to the garden. For a couple years now I have struggled with what to place in the central spot of the Stroll Garden. Originally, I started out with a Boulevard Cypress Oriental Pompon (Chamaecyparis pisifera "Cyano-virdis')



I then replaced it with Red Select Japanese Maple (Acer palmate dissect 'Red Select'). I eventually moved that as well. 



This time I am trying a Mikawa yatsubusa Japanese Maple. It can handle sun to part shade, but I am still a bit worried that this location might not work due to the amount of light it gets. Nevertheless, I will give it a try. Worst case scenario, I have to move the plant.



As a dwarf, it shouldn't grow too quickly or too large, about 3-6" per year to a full size of about 6' H x 4' w. The branching habit makes this maple a favorite plant to use as bonsai. As a result, I should be able to control its shape as time goes on. The leaves should also provide some nice red color in the fall.



Here is to hoping that "third time's a charm." I would really like for this plant to do well in this location.

No comments:

Post a Comment