Monday, July 10, 2017

The Dragon's Gate

This is the first posting for this year - very late. Usually I have introduced some new plants of some other type of hardscape by now. However, renovations on the inside of the house and a trip to Seattle, Washington (to visit more gardens) put off any serious work in the garden. Up to this point all that I did was winter clean up and weeding. 

I started work on the gate along the back property line and the wood lot behind our home. This is along the area of the yard referred to as the "Dragon's Spine," a reference to the beds original shape which at one time had looked like a serpentine spine (see May 2010). The bed has been altered sine its original creation, and now its about to be completely redeveloped.


The long term plan is to change the plantings with more deer resistant shrubs and plantings. 


Currently, the deer eat my Japanese Yews and some of the Hosta. I will also be moving some Boxwood shrubs from elsewhere in the yard to this location.

Although technically not part of the Zen garden, I have decided to add a Japanese style gate to the location. I thought about extending the fence, But decided to try creating a "fence" of shrubs instead. I still need an entry point into the wood lot, hence the need for a gate. I will not be able to move the Dwarf Maple, so I am placing the gate near the far end of the bed, close to the existing nursery/vegetable garden area.


The style of the gate will be similar to the ones elsewhere in the Zen garden, except I am going to try and put a roof on this one. Still not sure how I will do this - I am not a carpenter, so I have a lot of reading and studying to do. It will not be a "traditional" Sukiya style gate, as in mortise and tenon construction. 


I do not have those skills. I will have to make modifications that will use bolts and screws to provide support to the structure, but still appear somewhat Japanese. For those who are purists, I can only say sorry. Its the best I can do with my limited skills and budget.

For now, only the footings are in. 


There is much more to do. Keep am eye out for future gate related posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment