Wednesday, July 26, 2017

The Postman

Now that the Japanese Yew is out of the way, I could start to work on the support posts for the gate. I started by digging a couple of post holes in front of the main posts. Once dug I placed an 8 x 4 x 4 cedar post in each. I decided this time to cement them into the ground.


The first two gates I built did not get cemented support posts. The main garden entrance gate didn't budge. The supporting posts for the large back gate shifted a bit, but not enough that I have had to fix them.

Given that this new gate is going to have a roof, I didn't want to take a chance, so cement it was. I also decided to brace the posts in place with temporary supports that I screwed in. This ensured that the posts were exactly where I wanted them in relation to the main posts and that they wouldn't budge while I poured the cement. Doing this alone was tough, especially since the cement I used was quick setting. I had to watch my timing and make sure everything was in place before I started, hence the temporary support posts.

I also installed the crosspiece to add some stability to the main posts - they are only bolted to brackets and have been moving a bit. Once everything was all secure, I pored the cement.

Later, I attached the cross supports with bolts, further securing the structure. I then removed the temporary cross supports.



It took almost the full day to get all this done. Its secure, but sort of looks odd, like I am building a giant chair. Doesn't really look like a gate at this point. Honestly, I am worried. The proportions seem off. I am using formulas I obtained from the Journal of Japanese Gardening, but I might be messing it up. For instance, I know that I extended the support posts too far from the main posts, about twice the distance I should have. Its how I did my previous gates, and I am worried about the main posts only being bolted down. I am hoping the wider span will help support the main posts better by spreading out the support. I am no engineer, so I could be wrong. Only time will tell. It may not look authentic when done, but in the end it will either work or I will have a very goofy looking gate.

I'm o.k with goofy.

3 comments:

  1. It sounds like you have things pretty well stabilized. Goofy sounds good. I always think that just going with the flow (so long as you don't get swept away by it) is best. Little inconsistencies here and there make a project more individualistic and interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So it is a "traditional" gate!! Cool

    ReplyDelete
  3. It will kind of look traditional, but I used bolts and screws to hold it together.

    ReplyDelete