Wednesday, July 19, 2017

A Gift From the Gods

As I travel around the country this summer visiting Japanese gardens, I have been in search of a gate style that I might be able to build as part of my plans to add a gate to the Dragon's Spine area in my backyard.

Many have been too large or too complex for my level of skill and budget. I also want a small, simple, single passageway gate.


Anderson Gardens

Garden of the Phoenix

Bloedel Reserve

Yao Garden

Yashiro

This week, while visiting the Anderson Gardens in Illinois, I stumbled on the perfect gate.



This gate meets all my criteria. Small, single passage, and not too complicated. In fact, its perfect. It uses 4 x 4 posts as its primary support. Two on either side and one as the top cross beam. 




The roof supports are still mortised together, but I might be able to pull that off with the right tools. At the very least, I can create two supports on either side of the post and use bolts (my original plan).

I'm not a fan of the natural timber cross piece and will probably use a milled 1 x 6 cedar board instead.



I was vey glad to see this structure. An authentic looking gate with 4 x 4 posts - a gift from the gods.


2 comments:

  1. Do you think this is a "traditional" gate or something the garden designer created?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Traditional design, but the proportions are a bit small. I think it was one of the earliest gates built at the garden.

    ReplyDelete