Thursday, May 10, 2012

New Plantings - 2012

I worked on the garden most of last weekend (5/5-5/6). I started by reworking the north-east section of the garden. Originally, it was a long-steep slope of small to medium stones. I was constantly having to rake stones back up the slope. So, I decided to add a second, lower bed and added more supporting rocks.


Original Layout (looking west)
New Layout (looking west)
New Layout (looking east)
I also added an additional layer to the top section just east of the stairs - it sloped to much causing mulch and always drain off with each rain storm. Adding an additional layer of rocks as a retainer should keep he mulch, and water, where it belongs.



Here is a full view - its hard to see these changes, but they are an improvement:




I then moved on to installing a variety of new plants and filled in some of the unused space with Marigolds. Here is a list of the new landings:


Assorted Marigolds





Shade Fanfare Plantain Lily (Hosta 'Shade Fanfare')




I planted two of these zone 3 Hostas in the garden - one just below the Maple, and the other in the newly created bed in the north-east section of the garden. Hosta do great in the garden, so I expect little problems, other than chipmunks.

Winky Red & White Columbine (Aguilegia 'Winky Red & White')


I attempted a set of similar plants last year, only to watch them be eaten by slugs. I am trying again with these Zone 3 plants. They should get to 18" x 18" provided the slugs stay away. If they make it, I'm hoping they attract hummingbirds.

Heavenly Blue Lithodora (Lithodora diffusa 'Heavenly Blue')


I planted two of these creeping perennials - I had one during the first year of the garden and the blue flowers were spectacular. That planted didn't last more than a year, but I am willing to try again. As a zone 6 plant it should do well and grow to about 3-6" in height and spread as much as 6' - no doubt I will trim them back as the grow, an easy task since they grow slowly.

Stonecrop (Sedum 'Rock Garden Blend')


This blend of different sedum should make a nice ground cover along the narrow top edge of the north-west side of the garden. I planted four, but each plant should grow to about 4-6" and fill in this edge. Thy like sun and dry, well-drained soil, so I am hoping these plants will do well.

Rock Cress (Arabis caucasia 'Snowfix')


This zone 4-8 perenial likes full sun, so I planted them on the north side of the garden. I still have one small plant from last year that survived, so I am hoping these will do well, although blooming season is currently in full swing for this plant. I might have to wait until next year to get a nice flowing.

Irish Moss (Sagina subulata)


Most of the moss that had been planted along the stone staircase didn't make it through the dry winter. Last year I had to add some more, but this year I replaced it all. It will look strange for a while until it spreads out.

Melting Fire Coral Bells (Heuchera 'Melting Fire')


This zone 4 plant should grow to about 15" x15" in size. I planted two, one each on either side of the Buddha. As annuals, they should bloom each spring and the red color should add some variety to the mostly green garden.


Dahlia

I planted one of the these annuals directly into the garden (red), but the other two (both white) were potted. I had a couple of potted plants last year and they did well - the potted plants I can move around as need to ensure the get enough light.

Bacopa 


I'm not sure how these will do - I planted three at the foot of the Buddha in the Black stone area. They need at least 2-3 hours of sunlight but will do much better with more. It is an annual, so I am just tying it out to see what happens.

Additional Hosta


I also added a large number of Hosta behind and to the right of Buddha. I am moving the day lilies and grasses that had been there - they just were not getting enough light this time around. I will transplant them to other places. Instead, I installed Hosta that were given to me by a relative - they are different then most of the Hosta currently in the garden - they have broad, green leaves. They should do well in this increasingly shady corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment