Thursday, August 4, 2022

Water, Water everywhere...

Climate change has proven to be a real threat to my garden activities. Many plants and shrubs in the garden are suffering from the constant high temperature and limited rainfall. I have not seen a dry summer like this in many years.

The gardens on property, include the following: Zen, Stroll, and Viewing Gardens, Dragon's Spine, Vegetable Garden, Herb Garden, and the general landscaping around the house and grass covered lawn. Needless to say, my new full time job is watering everything.

The Vegetable Garden Has been on a timed watering system for years. 

The Zen garden has also been on a timed system. I installed it close to 10 years ago out of necessity. It was taking almost an hour for me to do just the Zen garden by hand with a hose. 

Usually, I have the timer set for 10 minutes in the morning and 10 more minutes in the afternoon. I alter the timing depending on the weather conditions, but this year has been so dry I occasionally spot water where needed.

After finishing the fence along the Viewing and Stroll Garden, and then adding additional plants, I knew I would have to extend the watering system into those new areas.

Stroll Garden

Viewing Garden

They system I use is a micro-spinkler system. There are several varieties available to purchase, but I have had good luck over the years with the Mister Sprinkler system (Note: I get no endorsement for this recommendation, I actually use it). 


It's easy to install and maintain. I just have to flush out the water before winter (I use a power blower).

Extending the system into the Viewing and Stroll garden areas costs me about $100 and a half day of labor. Note: the kit pictured above is only a starter kit. I had to add 100' of hose and and many micor-spinkler heads/holders (beware, the holders can increase costs).



Given that the soil in these areas is sandy, the automatic watering will go along way to help ensure they make it through these hot periods. It will also free me up to do other tasks in the garden.

I also ran a 25' section along the garage wall, but I have not yet added any sprinklers. I'm not sure what will be the best way to do so given the bamboo and the way it hangs low as it grows. I may have to change this section to more of a drip system.

Ironically, during the afternoon, after I had finished the installation, it rained for the first time in a couple of weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment