Wednesday, August 3, 2022

Garden Snake

I planted a Chocolate White Snakeroot (Eupatorium rugosum 'Chocolate' (Ageratina altissima) in the border along the Stroll Garden.

It actually sits just  behind the Crabapple Tree and is in a location where the Viewing Garden and the Stroll Garden meet. 

I did have to move the Arborvitae Fire Chief (Thuja occidentalis 'Congabe') That was nearby (just to the right of the Chocolate White Snakeroot). 

This Arborvitae Fire Chief has not done well over the years and has been moved several times. 

As I was moving it today, I realized it was growing in an elongated fashion. So, wanting it to do well, and grow in a more rounded way, I clipped away at the elongated edges. Hopefully this will help it mound better, and by clipping away at the foliage it may help direct more energy into the core of the shrub. Only time will tell.

I planted the Chocolate White Snakeroot nearby to fill in some of he open space just behind the Crabapple tree. Since this plant will grow to 3' x 4' it should do a job of filling in this spot and help to demarcate the transition from one garden into the other.

I like the color of the leaves and the white flowers that will bloom (I have a similar grafted tree version behind the house). It likes part shade, which the fence will provide, but it will also tolerate full sun which will be present from mid day onward. It might also attract butterflies.

No comments:

Post a Comment