Friday, August 12, 2022

Like a Cloud in the Wind

I awoke early this morning and began work on the annual trimming of the Boulevard Cypress Oriental Pompon (Chamaecyparis pisifera "Cyano-virdis')

I was worried because over the last year, many of the limbs and growth has died off near the lower portion of the plant. Its not noticeable from the gazebo area, but when you look directly at it from within the garden or near the East gate, you see it right away.

Before Trimming #1

Before Trimming #2

Regardless, the top portion needs to be thinned out. I like to think I am cloud pruning this rather than creating pompoms. I know its not authentic, but the way I am trimming with this Cypress is the closest thing I can do to achieve a cloud pruned look.

I usually start from the bottom and clean out all the dead material. It's easy to spot because the needles are all brown and the tiny limbs are dead wood.

Afterward, I start by making my way around at intervals to trim "pom pom" sections (clouds) away from each other. The idea is to make sure they don't touch. It's a lot like maintaining a Bonsai. I always cut from the underside first, making sure that no growth is hanging down or growing downward. 

Eventually, I have to cut some well developed and healthy growth to maintain the gaps between the "clouds." This year, due to the increase in dead material, the overall plant is looking thinned out, so I have to be careful not to over trim. The goal is to expose the limbs for interest without killing the plant.

I have noticed that the very top of the plant is growing rapidly this year. So, my plan is to leave the top relatively intact and see what happens next year. 

Normally, I would lop it off and leave a small nob at the top. As the bottom thins out, perhaps the top will continue to grow and keep the plant healthy and thriving. I will, however, need to rethink some of the plants near the base. Taller plants may help close up the void created by the missing dead material at the bottom, especially in the back.

Here is a video of me working. I have sped it up and edited it:

Keep in mind, this type of trimming is slow going and takes much more time than when I trim a maple. In fact, it took almost three hours of slow, painstaking clipping to trim this Cypress. So, three hours of work were reduced to a 1 min. video. Time wise, its no problem for me, I actually find it very relaxing, like Zen mediation.

In the end, I have a trimmed Cypress that looks fantastic (although a bit wonky near the top).

After Trimming #1

After Trimming #2

Once again, the Cypress will add some interest to the garden for another year.

No comments:

Post a Comment