Saturday, August 20, 2022

Fill the Void

Wanting to fill in the void below the Boulevard Cypress Oriental Pompon, I decided to move the Brunnera (macrophylla 'Emerald Mist') that resided behind the Cypress near the East Gate. 


The Emerald Mist had been there for many years and liked the area in terms of light/shade and moisture. It now resides just near the recently trimmed Maple in the Zen garden.

However, the Emerald Mist did not grow vary tall and the void created by the ever dying limbs of the lower part of the Cypress dictated that I try and locate a plant that could fill the void. 

As a replacement, I chose a Little Heath Pieris (Pieris japonica 'Little Heath').

Although this shrub has the potential to grow  to 3 - 4' tall/wide, I think it will grow slow here and I should be able to manage it by keeping it clipped and shaped so as not to grow beyond the bed.


As an evergreen, it will also add some interest throughout the year and its color contrast should brighten up the corner.

I may have to reconsider the Hosta in the front. It is getting large, but it leaves are not as compact as I like. I can make that decision next spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment