Tuesday, July 2, 2019

Post Plants

Before finishing the gazebo, I wanted to plant some shade friendly plantings near the footings in an attempt to hide the post footings.

Once the weed fabric was laid over the pre-dug holes, I then purchased the plants I planned to use. Each post would get two Japanese Painted Ferns (Athyrium niponicum 'Pictum') and one Heartleaf Brunnera (Brunnera macrophylla 'Jack frost').

 

I also purchased a Soft Touch Japanese Holly (Ilex crenate 'Soft Touch') to place directly in front of the post at the forward center part of the gazebo. I wanted to provide some interest with plans and hide that post footing that was the first thing seen when entering the patio area. 

On either side I decide to plant two dwarf lilies that had been planted on either side of the Dwarf Korean Fir located on the north side bed of the garden. They were no longer "dwarf" and were crowding out the Fir. So, I transplanted them to either side of the Holly. 


The Holly will not get too large, no more than 2-3' tall and wide. The lilies look beat up after the transplant, but next years should look better.


The Ferns and Brunnera look good and in time should grow enough to hide the posts.


However, I realized planting these here was a mistake - they would be obscured by the mosquito netting that would go up. Better if I left no plants here. I'm now thinking of pulling them and using them elsewhere.

In the meantime, the rest of the pea stone was laid, fire table returned, outdoor carpet replaced, and furniture washed and returned to its proper place. 


 

I then installed the mosquito netting, and with that the building and maintenance of the patio was done.


No comments:

Post a Comment