Saturday, August 10, 2013

Season's end...

"A garden is never so good as it will be next year"

I made what I believe will be the final modifications to the garden for this summer. I started by adding some additional Zinnia plants to some of the open spaces that I know will fill in next year as shrubs and plants continue to grow and spread.


 

I also decided to move the Bugleweed (Ajuga reptans, 'Burgundy Glow') from the northern edge across from Buddha. Instead, I planted it in the space just in front of Buddha. I removed some of the Mexican Black Stone and prepped the soil for the transplant. 

 

The Bugleweed srpead more aggressively than I had anticipated, threatening a nearby Hosta. I know that by moving it near the statue I will have the same problem, but I am going to try and manage it with periodic maintenance and trimming I like the look of the leaves and I think the purple/blue flowers that emerge next spring will lok nice in this low space in front of the Buddha. If it remains too aggressive, I can always yank it out.

In the former location of the Bugleweed I planted three new perenials.

Tickseed Coreopsis Coloropsis 'Limbo' 



These plants like sun to part shade, so I placed them on the more sunny side of the garden. They should grow to about 12-18" with all three filling in this area. Not sure if they will make it, but will find out next spring. In the meantime, they look nice and I like the addition of white flowers to the garden.

I also decided to fill one last void near the Buddha with my one remaining Heucherella 'Sweet Tea'. 



I wasn't sure if this plant would make it in this area, but its getting late in the summer and it can't stay in a bucket forever. I couldn't think of any other location to place this plant in the yard, so I decided to give it a try here. Next spring will tell me if it was a good choice.

I'm hoping that is it for this year, with the exception of Mums I purchase for fall. I still have some non-plant related tasks to complete for this summer, but will add them to the blog as I complete them.



No comments:

Post a Comment