Thursday, August 8, 2013

Ruby Ribbons


"A thicket of summer grass
Is all that remains
Of the dreams of ancient warriors.
Matsuo Basho



In an attempt to start reworking the walkway between the house and garage, I planted a new grass plant next to the garage door entrance. I attempted an earlier grass plant in this location that I had transplanted from the back yard last year - I made the mistake of splitting the plant and as a result, one half died and the other never fully recovered. I moved it temporarily to the opposite side of the garage along my "dumping ground" (an area where extra plants and rocks sit waiting to be used elsewhere). 



I'm not sure what I will do with it. Perhaps I will use it as part of my future plans to rework the "dumping ground" into part of a larger garden.

Panicum Virgatum 'Ruby Ribbons'

 

This zone 4 to 9 ornamental Switch Grass will grow to 3 - 4 feet and likes sun and partial shade. It should get plenty of sun in this spot. I really like the red color - it goes well with all the red brick on the house. In addition, it does a great job of hiding all the electrical work on the outside of the garage.

This grass will also help me in my rethinking of this walkway area. To be honest, I'm sick of Hosta and want to add more shrub-like plants in this area.

No comments:

Post a Comment