Wednesday, July 3, 2024

Spiked

After four years, it was time to replace the Four-Eyed Fence along the viewing garden. 

2020 Yaotsume-gaki

Built in 2020 the Yaotsume-gaki, or Four-Eyed fence, had deteriorated due to exposure to sun and rain. I have learned that bamboo poles only retain their nice color and texture for a short time. The Zen Garden fence and the Woodland Gate are both examples of bamboo enhanced structures that have needed bamboo replacement over the last few years.

I had forgotten how much work it was to build the first Yaotsume-gaki. I literally spent ten hours selecting, cutting, and assembling three 6' panels. 

Rather than buy new bamboo, I scrounged up left over poles from different projects. The end posts are left over from the recent Woodland Gate update, the horizontal rails from left over poles from the original Woodland Gate project, and the vertical poles were a mix of poles, including some from the Zen Garden fence project.

I kept the same dimensions as last time, 6' length x 2' height. I also alternated the vertical poles with one single pole followed by a double set of poles. 

However, I could not alternate the side on which they rested upon the rails. This time I opted to use 1" bamboo poles for the end posts and attach the rails to the back side. 

Because I am using hidden screws to hold the poles onto the rails, I wanted to avoid having screws visible on both sides, hence no alternative siding for the poles along the rails.

The design this time around eliminated the use of the stand alone posts with feet that I had constructed last time. 

2020 Wooden Post/Feet

They did not work well on windy days and caused the fence to frequently blow over.

Instead of using wooden posts with feet, I instead opted to use Tiki Torch pole spikes. 

They easily accommodate a 1" bamboo pole, and can be pounded into the ground, ensuring that wind will no longer push the fence over. 


The little screw on the bottom will allow me to remove a panel if I need to do so. I suggest you give it a good squirt of WD40 to avoid it rusting shut.

I can also easily remove each panel, spikes and all, at the end of the season to help extend the life of the bamboo. Hopefully another four years.

Figuring out the knots was no easy task. There are several traditional styles, but I am not good at following the directions. I did the best I could to get a cross on the outer side of the rail, but I am confident that an expert would not accept my work.


After adding the bonsai-twine knots for each joint, the panels were ready for install. I used a combination of a small sledge-hammer and rubber-mallet to get through the hardened gravel along the edge of the driveway and Viewing Garden bed. The rubber-mallet helped protect the black paint of the spikes. 

Although visible at the base, I don't mind the black of the spikes, its matches the black bonsai twine. In this case, stability outweighs esthetics.



Even the Longevity Tortoise is happy with the view.


The fence looks as good as the first version, but now with the added cedar fence backdrop and all the new plantings from this season, the viewing garden is starting to resemble the garden I had longed imagined.