Monday, July 29, 2024

Digging a Well

Today I dug a pit for a water reservoir that will supply the the planned water feature

I was concerned about the location due to the size of the reservoir and the close proximity over a very large stone that has resided in this location since pre-2009. The reservoir is an Aquascape AquaBasin 30, a 30 x 30 x 16" reservoir.

I was fortunate because the reservoir fit exactly into the hole that I dug, not an inch to spare. If I had to move that stone, it would have been a challenge. At least 20% of the stone sits below the surface - it is large and heavy.

This reservoir is very sturdy and will hold 500 lbs and 27 gallons of water for the finished water feature. 

I also like that the corner has a removable door that will allow easy access to the pump and water chamber. At $300+ it was not inexpensive, but I want to make sure I do this feature correctly.

Once the hole was dug, I filled in the base of the pit with several inches of drainage stone, then laid weed fabric to sit under and around the reservoir.

The next step will be to install the pump and water spout before I place the granite basin and top-cover of stone. I also need to acquire more stones to create the surrounding border.

It will be a few more days before this project is complete and I am still waiting on the arrival of the electrician to install the electricity (note: the lantern shown above, right will be moved elsewhere).