Saturday, June 24, 2023

Rooftop Rot

This week I had to replace the roof of the meter box structure (The Green Lantern) I built back in 2013.

Although most of the structure has held up well, the roof was poorly designed.

The Green Lantern - 2013

From the image above, you can see that the roof tiles sit centered on the angled sides. Water, snow, and ice often accumulated along the roof and had no where to go except into the seam. As a result, the wooden base underneath began to rot as well as the two sides. 


Honestly, I should have repaired this a couple years back, but I was being lazy. I realized last fall that it was bad, so I covered it over during the winter with a plastic tarp. I finally got around to making the necessary repairs this week.

Remarkably, the structure underneath was perfectly intact and required no repairs.



I decided this time around to adjust the roof tiles so that they sat across the top of all of the replaced pieces - platform and two sides.


I also decided to use PVC board to replace all of these top pieces, even the angled cap at the top. I painted each piece and caulked at the top to ensure no water would find its way to the area below the base. New roof tiles were added with a lip that will ensure that any water, snow, or ice is directed away from the structure. 


Overall, it looks good, and I have learned my lesson about roofs and water.

No comments:

Post a Comment