Sunday, June 18, 2023

Father's Day

For Father's Day, I visited the local garden center and picked up a Dark Towers Penstemon (Penstemon 'Dark Towers"). 

This upright perennial blooms late spring with beautiful purple and with light pink flowers over a wine-red foliage. It's bee friendly and should attract hummingbirds. I only hope it doesn't attract slugs!

I planted it just to the right of Guanyin, a location where I had placed a Bleeding Hearts (Heliopsis hellianthoides var. scabra "Bleeding Hearts') back in 2021. Unfortunately, the plant didn't make it. 

Last year the Bleeding Heart was covered with many strange looking tiny insects, a Red Aphid (Dactynotus spp.) infestation. I have removed the plant and am hoping the infestation hasn't spread to other plants. I also removed a lot of the nearby soil and amended it for the new planting. I will have to keep a close eye on this area, and this new plant. 


 In the meantime, Guanyin seems happy, as am I.

No comments:

Post a Comment