Thursday, June 8, 2023

Getting Around

Due to the extreme weather complications brought on by fires in Quebec, Canada, the New York state region is blanked in a dangerous haze of smoke. Its been going on a couple of days now, and is expected to continue into next week.

I've already been seeing the impact of global climate change on the plants within my garden and elsewhere on the property. Little snow over the winter, and very little rainfall this spring, have taken their toll. Now, given my existing heart condition, I have to wait out this atmospheric event and hope that the air will clear soon so that I can get back outside and work on the multiple projects I want to accomplish this summer.

In the meantime, I decided to play it safe and remain indoors. While doing so, I finished up a project I started a few weeks back, but did not, until recently, have time to complete.

As the new steps/porch was being built, I realized that there was going to be a large section of brick wall that needed something ornamental. 

I didn't want to hang anything to "kitchy," like a metal sign or picture. Instead, I opted to create a faux  muramado, or round window. These type of windows often appear in Japanese tea houses, and I really liked the look (similar to my Moon Window in the garden fence).

I could not afford, or structurally build, a window in the wall. So, instead, I decided on a faux window.

To build the window I purchased a wooden framed mirror, removed the glass (too heavy), and kept the fiber wood backing. After staining the frame the same green as the fence, and the backing primed and painted white, I then ordered some faux shoji screen glass adhesive and attached it to the backing. It has a color and pattern that resembles Japanese rice paper. Unfortunately, it did not adhere well to the painted surface of the backing. However, after applying some wallpaper glue, it stuck without problem.

I then cut some pieces of left over bamboo and attached them to the frame. I had to notch them to get them to overlap, and then use small screws along the inner edge to insert/attach each end of the bamboo. Seems to be holding so far. 


I have to see how this will hold up to weather. The porch is covered, and the faux window high enough to protect it from direct rain. However, exposure to heat and humidity might be an issue over time.

For now, it looks pretty good. 

It breaks up the space, compliments the bench I installed, and esthetically fits in with the garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment