Wednesday, July 7, 2021

Grassing the Fence

I still have not finished the fence project. The weather has not been cooperating and another in-house project has taken priority. I still have to cut, stain, and install all of the fence panels, as well as the roof structures on the three panels near the gate. 

Nevertheless, I decided how I want to fill in the space near the bottom of the fence. It is a narrow area that once held Mexican Black Stones and Black-eyed Susans (Rudbeckia hirta). Both are now gone, so I wanted something that would be uniform and fill in the area over time without growing too high. The solution was Japanese Forest Grass 'Aureola' (Hakonechloa macra 'Aureola').


I have some of this grass along the central path below the meter-post. 


It likes about 4 hours of sun, but also shade. It's a slow grower, so it should not get too big. 

Overtime I may need to thin it out, but it will take a couple of years. I am hopeful that it will grow along the fence in a continuous manner, similar to the the post-meter area. To fill in the area I had to plant nine new plants, so it was a costly investment. 

In time it should look like one long grass planting. Even without the fence being finished, it looks good.

No comments:

Post a Comment