Friday, August 9, 2019

One More Time - Pom Pom Returns

I came across this Scotch Pine Pom Pom (Pinus sylvestris) at a local garden shop. It was large, but poorly maintained. The "pom poms" were no longer round and the needles had been allowed to grow out. 


I generally don't like these type of trees, but given how overgrown it had become, and the fact that it was on sale for 1/3rd the price, I decided to make the purchase. Also, given it's size, the price was a bargain. I also think I can work with this tree to train it to do what I want, maybe even play around with some cloud pruning a bit. The trunk is very straight, but I might be ale to simulate a Sukiya style with the branches.

My plan is to place it in the central viewing spot along the stroll garden. 


I have tried other plants here before, both a Boulevard Cypress Oriental Pompon and Red Select Japanese Maple. 

 

Neither of these did well due to the poor soil conditions. As a result, I made sure to buy five bags of soil with some fertilizer so that I can amend the soil before I plant the the new pine. The pine should do well here, it likes full sun and dry well drained soil.

Currently, there is a Mikawa Yatsubusa Japanese Maple planted in this location. 


It too has not done well. Large portions of its branches died off after the first year, and it has continued to grow slowly and poorly ever since. It will be coming out to make room for the pine. I will have to find a new home for it elsewhere on the property.

No comments:

Post a Comment