Saturday, July 21, 2012

Beginning Anew

"On a journey, ill;
my dream goes wandering
over withered fields."

Basho


I planted some new plants yesterday. The task was a bit tiring, since I had health trouble in the form of a heart attack back on July 8. However, yesterday I felt well enough to get out into the garden and start anew. 


I included the Japanese death poem above by Basho because it reflected my almost untimely death. I was traveling by train through Chicago when I had my heart attack and at one point was clinically dead for eleven minutes before being revived. During those minutes I experienced nothing - no "out-of-body experience" or "light at the end of a tunnel." It was just darkness - nothing, like "wandering over withered fields." 


So, now that I have had some time to heal and reflect on that experience, I have realized that this world is the one that counts and we need to take advantage of every moment and see the beauty of what we have. For me that's family, friends, and my garden. With that, I decided to add some color to some of the spots that had been damaged by the slugs. 


Bellflower 'White Clips' Campanula



I liked the large white, cup-chaped flower, and although it likes full sun, it might do well in part shade (being on the north side of the garden should help. 


Rose Campion (Lychnis coronaria)




This plant isn't flowering yet, and may not do so until next summer. I liked the leaf structure - it has silvery, wooly foliage. It should sprout red flowers once established. It too likes sun, but it might take in part shade as well, hence its location on the north edge of the garden.


Ajuga 'Dixie Chip' (Ajuga hybrid)



This plant tolerates sun or shade, so I am giving it a try along the fence on the south side of the garden. I really liked the multicolored small leaves. It is also spouting a purple-blue flower that compliments some of the colors from the nearby host.

Zinnia (Profusion Yellow and Fire)




I have planted these before, only to see them destroyed by slugs. Nevertheless, they are colorful and add some variation to the garden. I especially like the profusion fire.

Zinnia (Swizzle Cherry)

Catherine helped me add the following flowers a few days back - I pointed, she planted. 


The garden is all so beautiful to me, more so now than ever. I am a gardener for life, and with some, hope, it will be a long and fruitful one absent of withered fields.

No comments:

Post a Comment