Monday, June 11, 2012

The White Gravel Ocean

In the spirt of using gravel throughout a Zen garden, I decided to remove the landscape timbers I was using to define the original walkway between the house and garage. I also removed the mulch I placed within the defined beds during last years transplant of the Hosta into the walkway. 


Now gravel extends throughout, making the area seem much larger and spacious. 



I also balanced the plantings - 2 Liriope Grasses and one Hosta on each side in the front, and three Hosta and some grass on each side in the back (The grass was a transplanted and split plant I moved from the backyard - it didn't do well as a result of the split. I may have to wait until next year to see if it needs replacing).



I also added a yard of gravel to the original pathway - it sloped considerably. I then toped it off with a thin layer of pea stone (just under a yard). It is now level and solid to walk upon. In the future, I plan on placing some sort of large stepping stones down the center of the path, but for now I plan to leave it just pea stone.



I still need to build doors for the gate, but I won't be able to get to that project until mid to late August (or maybe next year).

No comments:

Post a Comment