Saturday, April 28, 2012

Spring Cleanup

I worked on cleaning up the garden today. The weather as been so unpredictable, that I kept putting it off.


Because of the lack of snow, and little to no rain in April, the soil is very dry. This process started back when we were having 80 degree days in March. At the time, it didn't occur to me to start watering the garden in March, and as a result, I lost some plants. Here is a list of the now departed:


Brunnera (m. 'Emerald mist' Bugloss)


Rock Cress (Arabis caucasica)

The lower plant didn't make it, but the upper one did. I moved it to the lower spot because it was being taken over by creeping Jenny.


Montana Sandwort (Arenaria montana)


Irish Moss (Sagina subulata)

I will replace this moss in clumps again, and let it spead. This seems to be an annual event.

Before
After


False Cyprus Cumulus (Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Cumulus')

These were two on my favorite (and most expensive) plants. Unfortunately, they really require a lot of moister and with the winter being so dry, they just didn't make it - especially with 80 degree temperatures in March. I trimmed one back, just to see what happens, but the other is 100% dead.

Before
Before
After
After


I also transplanted two Hostas from where the Entry Gate is going in, to the two spots where critters ate Hosta last summer (near the Buddha).


Maybe this year they won't eat them. If they do, it will be war!

No comments:

Post a Comment