Tuesday, July 18, 2023

Jurassic Park

I could tell that something was wrong back in the early spring. The Rocket Ligularia (Ligularia stenocephala 'The Rocket') I planted along either side of Buddha in 2022 were meant to replace an earlier 2013 set of 'Bottle Rocket' Ligularia that apparently were only a 2 x 2' version. Unfortunately I didn't pay attention to what I had purchased and ended up with plants that can grow up to 5 or 6', much larger than the originals.

2013

2023

From the images above, one can clearly see the difference in size and height.

There is no doubt that these plants are interesting to behold, but they are out of proportion to the rest of the plantings. They look like something you would find during the Jurassic period.


Even the yellow blooms are huge.





The Buddha corner has definitely improved since last year. I opted not to return the Mexican black stone to the area in front of the statue, and I also decided to leave it plant-free and will let moss take over instead. 


I placed a shallow pot filled with a ground cover (unknown 2016, along side old back steps) in front of Buddha as a temporary fill. I will need to decide on a new location for this plant in the near future.


Even though these plants are interesting, they are just too big. Viewing them from a distance emphasizes the mismatched size. 


So, after they finish flowering, I will dig them up and rework this area again. I will also need to decide what to do with these Jurassic dinosaurs - there really isn't anywhere they fit in the garden or elsewhere on the property.

No comments:

Post a Comment