Monday, May 15, 2023

Stoned

Although there is still a lot to do around the new back step porch, I took the time to make some changes to the post island I installed on the edge of the gazebo back in 2022. 

Rather than keep the red planting pot in this location, I decided to place it on the new steps of the porch. However, the cement footing of the post became visible again and I wanted to find a way to hide it from the front view.

Fortunately, I came across a beautiful stone at the local garden center. Its green tint and golden brown streaks were a really nice feature. Its shape also allowed me to plant it into the ground in an upright position. As a result, the post foundation is mostly hidden and one's eyes are drawn to the stone.

I planted the Bonfire (Euphorboia epithymoides 'Bonfire') into the bed, just to the left of the Coral Bark Japanese Maple (Acer palmatum 'Sango kaku/coral bark'). I then transplanted a small Cedum/Stonecrop plant (that was elsewhere on the property) in front of the stone. I liked that it stays low and acts more like a ground cover. 


As a result, it won't grow to high and distract from the beauty of the stone.


This really changed the view of this location. I am very happy with the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment