Monday, May 15, 2023

Filling the Void

With the exception of painting, the new back step porch is complete. I have to put the painting off due to a trip. In the meantime, I am beginning to rethink the space to the left of the porch. I plan to eventually build a rain chain drain with granite in the shape of a square. I still do not know exactly where the chain will terminate, I have to wait until I can set a plumb bob. In the meantime, I set up a brick box just to get an idea of how it might look.

I moved the Forest Grass on the corner away from the fence to give it some room to grow. I also installed a new plastic edging piece to keep a similar curve to what had been there in the past.

I then added two stones I discovered at a local garden center. I really liked the shape and color of the larger stone. I also thought the smaller stone resembled a small mountain, so I placed them close.


I planted a Japanese Painted Fern on the left side, just behind the stones. In time it should fill in that space without overtaking the stones. 

Behind the large stone, I planted a large Hosta Blue Cadet (Funkia, Plantain Lily) I had in the front yard for several years. In 2010, it had been in the garden by the East Gate but had grown too large. Although it had been out front for many years, it never grew well due to the poor conditions of the soil. Bringing it back into the garden should help it thrive. I am certain it will grow larger in time.

In front of the stones I planted two red leaf Coleus annuals. These can get tall, so I may need to move them at some point if they overtake and distract from the stones.

Most of this is temporary until I make final design decisions. I will be adding a stone base eventually and maybe some moss. I still have to decide about what to plant in the back section, but for now, I want to keep it opened up until all the painting is finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment