Thursday, June 30, 2022

秘密的心 (Secret Heart)

Living in retirement beyond the world,
Silently enjoying isolation, 
I pull the rope of my door tighter 
And stuff my window with roots and ferns. 
My spirit is tuned to the Spring-season: 
At the fall of the year 
there is autumn in my heart. 
Thus imitating cosmic changes 
My cottage becomes a Universe. 

     - Lu Yün (fourth century a.d.; translated by Arthur Waley) 

Now that I am officially retired, I finally planted the First Flame Maple "Iseli Introduction" (Acer x pseudosieboldianum) I purchased back in early May


I decided to wait until the danger passed from the Spongy Moth caterpillar invasion we endured over the last six weeks. I was afraid they would devastate the Maple because it would be located so close to a large Oak tree, which the caterpillars love. As a result, I decided to reconsider the location of the Maple. Initially, I was going to plant it into the bed area near the corner. However, I decided that it would be too close to the fence and Snowmound Spiraea. In time, the tree will grow and it will need space for the canopy.

So instead, I decided to plant it just behind the large rock and Yukimi-dōrō (snow-view lantern). 


Before doing so, I had to re-work this area. The Panicum Virgatum 'Ruby Ribbons' I transplanted here a few years back had grown substantially and will most likely continue to spread further out. I considered splitting it into two, but instead I decided to contain it with plastic edging.



I also needed to ensure that it would not extend into the area I dug out for the Maple. As a result, a strip of edging will separate the two, containing the grass, while simultaneously encircling the Maple, making a larger bed in which to place mulch. 


Mulching this area will be more beneficial for the Maple. Planting it, and then covering it with peastone would not be good for the roots. I can also more easily amend the soil around the base of the Maple in the future if needed. Having peastone there would have made it more difficult to do so.


The soil in the viewing area is very poor and mostly sand, so it was important to amend the soil for the Maple.

Although not my intent, I began to notice that the shape of the mulch island was beginning to resemble a heart, especially when viewed from the front (upside down, behind the stone). As a result, I have decided to name the mulch island: Secret Heart (秘密的心).


I am happy with how the island has turned out - the mulch, Maple, grass, rock, and lantern all work well together. 


This feature also looks nice from the driveway view (a view seen by most neighbors walking by).



The changes in the Stroll and Viewing Gardens since 2014 are remarkable.

Sommer 2014

Summer 2022

In time, the tree will continue to grow, perhaps as high as 20'. My plan, with luck, is to prune it so as to control its growth and shape.


In the meantime, this new feature will add some interest to the viewing area, and eventually, as the tree grows, prove to be a dramatic focal point to be seen from the East Gate at the far end of the Stroll Garden.


Visitors I am sure will be pleased, especially by the summertime autumn-like colors of the First Flame Maple.


All the while, unbeknownst to those who have not read this blog, the secret will be that "there is autumn in my heart."

No comments:

Post a Comment