Tuesday, August 17, 2021

Litynski 2.0

Back in June, 2021 I bought an Icebreaker Korean Fir (Abies koreana 'Ice Breaker') and attempted to plant what I hoped would be an unusual and interesting addition to the garden.


I even invited a friend to help plant the Fir and named it in her honor.


Unfortunately, the Fir did not do well. It seemed like it was taking hold for the first month, but then it slowly started to decline in health.

I thought it might have been slugs, but they were only creating minimal damage. I also speculated that it might have something to do with the never ending rain we had throughout July. It could also have been that it wasn't suited for this zone and climate. I will never really know.

Fortunately the nursery I purchased it from honored their warranty on plants and refunded my full costs. I was then left with the decision to find a replacement for "The Litynski."

Ultimately, I decided on something safe. I transplanted a small Green Velvet Boxwood (Buxus 'Green Velvet') that had been located in the Dragon's Spine. 

Front, Right Was Moved

Back in 2017 I was hoping this plant, along with a companion, would merge into a larger adjacent Boxwood. It never turned out the way I expected, so I decided moving it was an easy and cheap way of finding a solution to my current problem.

The Boxwood isn't as interesting as the Fir, but it is reliable and will do well in this location. I also like that its a slow grower, so it won't overwhelm this location in my lifetime.

Most importantly, I believe the Boxwood should be named. As a result, I am calling it the "Litynski 2.0." Overtime it will add interest to the garden, especially in the winter since it is an evergreen.

No comments:

Post a Comment