Tuesday, June 15, 2021

Post Apocalypse

I finally decided to make some changes to the plantings I placed near the front post of the gazebo back in 2019.

The Soft Touch Japanese Holly (Ilex crenate 'Soft Touch') I planted is doing great. It seems to like the sandy soil and is growing slowly, but looks wonderful in this location. The plan was to take one's eye away from the post footing.

After an initial attempt with some daylilies, I switched to two Arborvitae Fire Chief (Thuja occidentalis 'Congabe').

The Arborvitae Fire Chiefs did not do well. After the first winter they took a beating. I then left them in place after trimming out the dead material in the hopes they might recover. However, after another winter, and more damage, it became obvious that they had to be moved.

One of the Arborvitae was still in good enough shape to potentially recover its full shape (in time). So, I planted it within the Zen garden in a void that appeared in the garden after this last winter. 


The color is a bit similar to the moss in the area, but the plant fits in this area well and still has some room for growth. 

I am hopeful that in time it will heal and become a permanent shrub for this spot. I also hope to reshape it into a globe form.

The other Arborvitae suffered considerable damage. Its shape is now oddly elongated. After trimming out the dead material, I was able to salvage enough of it to give it another try. I decided to locate it in the new stroll garden bed to get started. 

It will take some time to see how it does in this sunny location, just beneath the new Crabapple tree. It's a dwarf shrub, so it shouldn't grow too big, provided it makes the transition. Only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment