Wednesday, June 16, 2021

Double Trouble

I was hoping to be much further along with the fence project, but I keep running into obstacles. 

First I was unable to get the same color stain for the new fence posts and rails. Olympic no longer makes the original "Alligator Green" in a semi transparent stain. So I opted for a solid evergreen stain, it just took a couple of weeks to find a solution (plus get the rain to stop). It actually matches well, but it is not 100% identical, it has a flat finish. Honestly, I may be the only person who will ever notice.

I was able to stain all the posts and rails after school this afternoon. I started at 3:30 and finished by 6:45, about 30 min. per section. It was a bit tough in some places becuase I didn't want to damage plants. 

It looks pretty good. 

Now I just have to get Lowes to deliver the rest of the wood I ordered. It was supposed to come tomorrow, but they screwed up the order and I had to cancel it. Now I have to find another way to get what I need for the cleats and fence roof. I no longer own a pickup truck, and wood is getting hard to find and more expensive in this post Covid world. This fence project is already over budget. I just hope I can get it done before mid July.

On a positive note, I have the copper caps for the lower posts. Due to code restrictions, I can't have the roof sections on the first three panels. I am restricted to four feet height.


No problem, it will differentiate the two parts of the garden. The caps are the same custom made caps I have used elsewhere in the garden. 


I'm not ready to permanently attach the caps, but once I do I am certain they will look great.

No comments:

Post a Comment