As spring gets underway, despite the extreme changes in temperature, I added some new planting and made some long put-off changes.
I decided to add one more Variegated Japanese Forest Grass plant to the base of the lantern. I know that they will all grow to a much fuller size in the future, but in the meantime I added the fourth plant I purchased to the base to fill it in better for this season. I can relocate it later as all the plants continue to grow.
I was also concerned about the Variegated Stonecrop (Sedum 'Veriegatum') I had planted last year in the corner between these grasses and the spirea. So, I moved it closer to the door step and replaced it with part of the Happy Returns Daylily (Hemerocallis) I spit from within the garden - although these were originally dwarf lilies, over the years they have grown substantially. I moved one plant last year. This year I split them again, leaving half behind near their original location and moving the other half to this corner. I also reworked some of the stones in the garden around these daylillies and the Beatlemania Mophead Grass.
Additionally, I split some of the hosta in the garden that had become too full last year. I moved them to different locations throughout the garden.
I also added some flowering annuals in different locations - White New Guinea Impatiens, Yellow Tuberous Begonia, and Scarlet Dahlia. If I can keep the slugs away, they might add some much needed color.