Sunday, April 24, 2016

A Foundation of Grass

As the Black Eyed Susan I planted at the base of the meter lantern began to appear, I remembered that I wanted to remove them. Last year I noticed that they did not flower as much as I would have liked. Also, every time I rolled out the garden hose, they would get crushed. 


So, I decided to pick up some Variegated Japanese Forest Grass to place in the location instead. Over time the grass should do a better job of covering over the base of the lantern box and the stones at the base. The Black Eyed Susan plants never really filled in as I had hoped. Initially, I purchased four grass plants, but I chose to plant only three. 


These grass plants have the potential of getting large over time, up to 24 inches in width. That should prove enough to fill the base, but it may take a year or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment