Monday, May 6, 2024

Buddha Makeover, Part 2

After power washing Buddha and cleaning up the corner of the garden, I sought out new plants to redesign the corner.

Initially I was setting Buddha back towards the corner. 

For years he was located further back and I was left with no viable option to plant anything interesting behind the statute. However, this time around it occurred to me that I could move Buddha further out from the fence line, close to the stone edge. Doing so would provide ample space for me to add a backdrop of plants that would help Buddha blend in more naturally with the garden and break up the hard contrast of the fence directly behind the statue.

Wanting to add some winter interest to this location, I decided to plant two NewGen Freedom Boxwood on either side of Buddha. These shrubs will grow slowly over time and will frame Buddha in a symmetrical fashion. 

On the outer edge of the corner I planted two Aurea Bowles' Golden Sedge (Cearex elata 'Aurea') that have a yellowish-green color that will add some contrast to the dark green of the Boxwoods. 

Behind the two Boxwoods and partially behind Buddha, I planted two Moccachino Astilbe (Astilbe x arendsii 'Moccachino'). These plants will produce a white bloom during the summer that I think will accentuate the statute, especially given that the white blooms could symbolize the purity of Buddha. These blooms will eventually fade, but will remain uncut until the end of the season.

Directly behind Buddha, and out of site, I planted a Hillside Black Beauty Bugbane (Cimicfuga ramosa 'Hillside Black Beauty'). This plant will eventually grow taller and add a dark brown color scheme that will distinguish itself from the nearby Astilbe. Additionally, each fall it will produce a dramatic bloom of white which will once again remind the garden visitor of the purity of Buddha.

I do not want to add mulch or moss the the remaining open area in front to Buddha. Doing so would result in the statue once again become dirty and discolored over time. Instead, I placed a small crushed gravel stone that has a reddish-brown tint. 

The color will add some differentiation to the garden that mimics mulch, but will be much easier to maintain.

Although the finished look appears much more crowded, I like the look. I may have to trim back some plants occasionally, but I am hopeful that this renovation will prove more pleasing to the the eye. I'm sure it will not be the last time I rework this area, but for this season I will sit back and enjoy.