Saturday, September 23, 2023

Back in Black

I added a second, then third coat of stain to the fence over the last 48 hrs. I wanted to make sure it had a nice black color, rather than light gray with cedar brown streaks. The third coat worked well, but also allowed the wood grain to be visible. In this case, I used semi-solid stain and doing so allowed me to get a full black. I wanted to avoid a fully solid stain because it looks more like paint.

Once the stain dried, I was able to install the black bamboo I purchased from HomeDepot. It comes in a 3 x 8' roll, and with a little help from my wife, we were able to insert it into each panel I constructed. The full 1" poles were wider than I anticipated, as was the weight of the entire role. However, I used two 2 x 4 as the supporting rails - one vertical, the other horizontal, to add more strength and stability.

The bamboo will probably fade over the next two years, like the bamboo I installed in the main Zen garden a back in 2018. However, I am hoping the black portions remain dark.

In the meantime, it looks fantastic. The variation in the bamboo color offers some differentiation from the black post and rails. I am very please with how this project is turning out. 

I also took some time to trim the right side of the Dwarf Maple. This tree was planted in the center of the Dragon's Spine, but over time it has grown out towards the lawn and to the right side of the bed. The tree grows in the direction of available sunlight, hence the odd off-center appearance. 

This trimming will help keep it center within the middle panel. Of course, over time, I will have to prune and shape it to keep it from straying too far.

The next step is to assemble the center screen, which will consist of horizontal slats of naturally stained cedar. The wood is all cut, but I have to stain each piece individually, assemble it into a single panel, then install it. 




It will take a few days to get it done.

No comments:

Post a Comment